Thursday, April 28, 2016

Old Light Love

There's no denying we have a thing for old lights over here. I don't know what made me fall in love with them, but after scouring our options nothing quite measured up to a period-appropriate fixture (Just say NO to can lights!). Unfortunately that meant searching high and low in every estate sale, vintage shop, and dumpster I could find. It hasn't come easy but it has been one of my very favorite things to look for now! And thanks to my new best friends at the cutest little hardware shop down the street, they are all working like new, and doing a great job lighting up our old wood floors and thick crown moulding that I have become so obsessed with.

Fast forward 9 months of two holes in the ceiling with no light fixtures decided upon, and I stumbled upon these beauties at a house down the street. One of our neighbors apparently used to own an antique store, which the remains of now reside in his basement. Once a year he opens it up to the public and I did a happy dance when I saw this matching set hanging in his carport. You read that right. 

Onto the dining room. This one needed to make a statement, but because it is open to the living room and the two lights on the west end of the house would be in line, they needed to coordinate. I found this one at an estate sale for a local architect who was selling from his warehouse and lucky for me, he collected LIGHTS (and chairs...) This beauty was a no-brainer.

Now we move into the kitchen. Which, this light will eventually hang in the mudroom but when you find something this great you put it wherever is available! This one was hanging in the littlest antique mall, and had a tag on it for $20. The woman at the register was SURE it was supposed to say $200, but she couldn't get a hold of the booth owner so 20 bucks and it was mine for the taking. All the praise hands for that little misprint! I also have a thing for cow paintings, and this little copper lantern goes perfect with Bessie. 

This sweet light is the one that started it all. We found him and his matching friend in the garage of an old oil tycoon mansion. They were both in pretty rough shape, so we used the more broken one for parts and put together this little gem. He floated around as a place holder for a while in other rooms, but now resides in the basement until the master bath is completed where he can one again shine in all his glory. 
(PS- does anyone know what those little bell-shapes are called on each socket? I would love nothing more than to repair the matching one but they seem impossible to find!)

These schoolhouse lights are ones I had my eye on for a while, so when the cutest little shop had their twice-a-year sale I jumped on them. They will go in the kitchen, which seems like it will never be finished, but I couldn't take the chance of waiting on such an awesome find! Have I mentioned how impossible it is to find 2 matching lights?

Finally, I didn't "find" this one, but it was already in our house when we got here and I love it. A couple of Edison bulbs and moved to a more appropriate sized space and this fixture gives the perfect little bit of charm to our hallway. 

We want to see your best finds!! Link up in the comments, or tag us on Instagram! @oldhouse_newhome
Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment